The Islip Museum in Long Island, New York is holding its annual open call for artists. The exhibition, to take place from June 13 to Sept. 1, 2012, is titled The Garbage Barge Revisited – Art from Dross.
The deadline for submissions is May 15, 2012 and is limited to 18 years of age and older.
The open call for entry and exhibition will be curated by Karen Shaw, and is FREE to enter. The opening reception will be held July 24, at 1-4 PM.
This Garbage Barge Revisited – Art From Dross is inspired by a 1987 event. A barge filled with garbage from Islip Town spent three months searching for a landfill to dispose of of its waste. This event influenced the modern recycling movement - encouraging people to reduce waste, reuse, and recycle.
Thus, this exhibition is based on this notion of not letting things go to waste. Artists are encouraged to submit work that is recycled or reused, or based on the recycling theme.
The number of submissions is limited to ONE.
Instructions for The Garbage Barge Revisited – Art from Dross Open Call
- The email for open call submissions is GarbargeBargeOpenCall2012@gmail.com
- Send photos of your artwork by email before May 15, 2012. Format the email subject in this way: GarbageBarge 2012 Submission_Graham Matthews. Remove my name and place your own.
- Send up to 3 photos of ONE artwork. Have them in .jpg file format and resolution no larger than 1724 px and 72dpi. The file size should be no larger than 1MB.
- File titles should be changed to include the title of your artwork and your name. For example, use this format: graham-matthews-entwined.jpg
- In the email body, place a description of the artwork, in this format: Title, medium, size, and date
- No slides and no incomplete artwork will be accepted for the Islip Art Museum Open Call.
- If you have special instructions for setting up the artwork, include this in a Word document, and attach it to the email.
- Please visit this page for additional information for receipt and removal of artwork: Garbage Barge Open Call
- Pieces valued at over $2000 will not be accepted for work dropped off.
- Please be advised that artwork physically submitted has to be picked up at certain dates. They charge $2 per day for storage for artworks not picked up pass the deadline.
Artists who are selected for the exhibition will receive 20 announcement cards.
Please let us know if you plan on taking part in Islip Art Museum Annual Open Call and good luck!