David Munroe Art is holding a competition at his Facebook page where the prize will be his large fluid painting “Illusions” above. David has asked me to share this with all of you, and I think it’s a very creative and innovative idea.
Here are some details of this competition:
- To enter, you must first photograph yourself holding a sign which says “I <3 David Munroe Art”. An example is below.
- David says, “I want to see you and your sign in the most RANDOM, WEIRDEST & FUNNIEST places you can think of.. anywhere you can.. go for it.. (keep it clean tho.. you know who I'm talking to.. yeah you :))”
- Post this to his Facebook page here: David Munroe Art
- Enter as many times as you want, and this contest is open to anyone, no matter where they live!
- All entries must be posted to David Munroe’s Facebook page by February 12, 2014.
- A winner will be chosen by David Munroe based on the criteria stated above, on February 13, 2014. The painting “illusions” will be shipped to the winner, including free shipping.
Why Creative Art Promotions Like this Work Well
I’ve seen businesses and brands try this sort of promotion, but not often artists. Have you? The last time I can remember an artist trying something remotely similar to this is when a fellow student in art school created a collage of photographs of him standing beside a life-sized cardboard cutout of Han Solo in various places – such as a supermarket, on a street corner, etc. (It was funny at the time – lol)
For artists, this idea be an innovative way of getting art seen and shared… and possibly going viral. Here are some reasons why this sort of promotion can work very well:
- It’s a competition for a free, original work of art. Who doesn’t love free, especially in this economy? Free is one of the most popular words on the internet. This will give people who can’t afford to buy one of David’s artworks a chance to win it.
- Encourages people to share their appreciation of the artist.
- The artist’s Facebook page receives plenty of promotion, from people visiting to see and share the images.
- The images have a possibility of going viral. Funny and weird memes are VERY popular on social networks. The benefit for David is – if they do go viral, his name will go viral too!
- It’s different!
Thank-you David for sharing this with us.
Do you have a creative idea for promoting art? Would like shared here at Artpromotivate? If so, please contact us via the contact form below.
Also, what do you think of this type of promotion? Would you try something like this too?