If you browse Youtube, you will find that many artists use this service to display art instructional videos of themselves painting, drawing, etc. Video has allowed artists to give others insights into their creative process, and to instruct interested people how to create art. There are many other uses of videos for artists that we will be talking about at another time. For now, we will be focusing on creating a simple webcam video on your computer, and uploading it to Youtube.
One of our readers requested this video tutorial:
I would like to see a video explaining how to record myself creating Graphic Art on my Laptop. I have a Dell Cam Central. I can see me when it's on but I want it to record me creating art. Thanks
Here is a video that shows time-lapse paintings by Paul Adams:
This is an art gallery and artist studio tour by visual artist Jackie Jacobson:
How to Use Windows Live Media Maker to Record Webcam Instructional Videos of Artists Creating Art
Please go through the following steps to create a webcam instructional video:
- Go to Start menu
- Then, All Programs
- Find and click Windows Live Movie Maker
- If you have Windows 7, simply select “Webcam Video”, and skip steps 5-7
- Click Capture from Video Device, then select your webcam, audio device, audio input source, then click Next
- Name the video of yourself creating art, and pick where you want to save it on your computer, then click Next again.
- Keep it at “Best quality for playback on my computer”, then click next once more.
- The Video Capture Wizard should open.
- Position your webcam in a good spot, so that you will be easily seen creating art. Try to make sure there is adequate lighting also so that your video image will be plain enough to see.
- Press Record or Start Capture to begin recording your video.
- When you are finished recording yourself creating art, simply click Stop.
Depending on your purpose for the video, you may want to upload it to Youtube.
How to Upload Art Video to Youtube
If you do not have a Youtube account already, then you may signup for one at Youtube.com
After you are finished setting up your profile, you may upload your video. We will show you here the steps one needs to go through.
- Click Upload at the top of the Youtube site
- On the next page, select the video file from your computer
- Fill in the title, description, and tags while you are waiting for your video to upload. Your artist website can even be added in the description.
- If you need to adjust these later, you may do this in the Video Manager
We will be featuring more video and Youtube tutorials here soon, and hopefully can show off some new videos. Do you have any questions about using videos and Youtube for artists?
If you do, we will be happy to help. Please post your questions and queries below!