When the issue of how galleries are managed is brought up, it seems as though oil paintings or artworks are sold as though they were commercial products. But, it should be known that having great passion and interest to work with artists in order that others may be influenced is a prerequisite to starting a gallery. In this line, there are many who would admit that if anyone would like to become a successful art gallery owner, the most important thing they would need to have is a professional pair of eyes.
This means that prior to the entry of any artists or artworks to the walk of fame, the host of the gallery would have to be already aware of either the artists’ or artworks’ importance. Of course, gallery owners would have to familiarize themselves with the directions of the market and ongoing trends. By being knowledgeable of these things and combining them to look for excellent artists whose artworks fit the trends in the market, gallery owners can be successful.
On top of that, a gallery owner should be a good listener as well as teacher. The owner of galleries in the market directly work with artists, and there are always artists who have just begun their career as an artist, being yet to be known by a large number of people. At this point, art gallery owners should pay a visit to the workplaces of these artists and speak to them and get to know the thoughts and methods the artist uses to create his artwork, and then make known these important details to professional critics and important art collectors. This would make art gallery owners trustable in the sight of the artists on the efforts of promoting their artwork.
Firstly, the ability art galleries have to make known an artist’s art to the world is crucial. When artists have agreed to have their artworks handled by art galleries, the first thing that should be done would be to confirm the time and frequency a personal exhibition is going to be held. Art collectors are often very hopeful that the artist’s creative course is clearly visible through a well-organized personal exhibition in the art gallery. Art exhibitions have become a crucial instrument for self-promotion for present green art galleries. On the art exhibition, especially for new art galleries, the organization of personal exhibitions of one artist would often prove more effective and more attractive than big-scaled yet complicated exhibitions.
Another way to promote the name of an artist is to have art collectors pay a visit to the working room of an artist. Art collectors are often very keen and passionate to know about the unique ways an artist works. Of course it should be ensured that the artist is equally happy about the visit.
Usually, the artist is responsible for the introduction of his or her artwork, once that is done, art gallery owners and art collectors could have their private talks regarding dealings.
Secondly, setting a reasonable price for the artworks of an artist is crucial as to influencing an art gallery’s and its artists’ growth of fame. This shows that art galleries are clear about their own directions. The setting of a price for artworks requires a lot of considerations from many angles. There is a quick way to get some opinions, that is to get to some experienced galleries to inquire about all types of prices. This would roughly shape a repertoire of price ranges of artworks that are similar to the artist’s style of art, this would provide an idea of the price to be set.
As an art gallery, there are three things that should be understood at first hand:
- An artist is the owner of the artwork the artist creates, the artist has the rights to set the price.
- The fame of middlemen are founded upon the correct judgment of the market price of an artist’s artwork, setting a price too low or too high does not contribute to a long-term and stable growth of the market. Especially when it comes to fresh artists, a lower price at the beginning is the artist’s best opportunity to input some of the very first works the artist has, which should best be sold to highly influential art collectors.
This would help the artist gain fame and promotion in the artistic circle, and the price of the artist’s works would gradually grow on its own.
- Thirdly, the sharing of an artist with other art galleries may seem like something hardly acceptable to many art gallery owners. The truth though is that through cooperative efforts of broadening the value of the artist in the market, further growth will befall both the artist and the art gallery.
Of course, there are two problems that should be resolved within the cooperation between art galleries, the first would be to define who would gain which of the artist’s artwork, and secondly, which would be the main representing art gallery of the artist. By properly proportioning and distributing the quality artworks of an artist to fall under the authorities of different galleries, conflicts and hatred between art galleries could then be avoided. Often, an artist would hope to submit his or her artworks to art galleries that have better services and are stronger. This type of competition causes other art galleries to improve their services. The goal of each art gallery remains the same, which is to build a more beneficial market for the artworks of an artist.
- Fourthly, if an art gallery is representative of an artist, art galleries would usually provide such services:
1. The portfolio arrangement of an artist
2. The agreement of the cooperation between the artist and the art gallery
3. The management of relevant issues such as discussions and the transporting of artworks when an artist wishes to work with other art galleries.
4. The feedback from the academic and marketing circles regarding the artist’s artworks and exhibitions through dialogue.
Apart from that, a proper and professional art gallery usually provides services such as the photographing, framing, packaging, transporting and storing of an artist’s to the artist.
*The preceding is a guest post from Steven, an oil paintings designer, from Collieart Studios.